Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Kon Omura's 90th Birthday Celebration!

Kon Omura. Photo by Brett Homenick.

November 3 might be Godzilla's birthday, but it also saw a special event headlined by one of the stars of the Showa Gamera series. Kon Omura turned 90 years old on November 1, and this event was held in celebration of this milestone. The interview focused mostly on health and lifestyle topics, although Omura-san talked a bit about his career, too.

Omura-san's wife, Yoko, was also in attendance and was one of the event's participants. The multi-lingual Yoko sang a couple of songs in Italian. Suffice it to say, it was quite enjoyable.

After the event, I got to spend a few moments with Omura-san. I wished him a happy birthday and took photos with him and got a couple of things signed, as well.

Quite frankly, I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten to spend as much time with him as I did.

I also chatted with Yoko, who of course is very nice, too. She even called me handsome (and gets the last word on that subject) and told me an amusing story of visiting Italy once and meeting an Italian person who knew who her husband was. She also thought I might be British, which, believe it or not, I hear a lot in Japan.

It was a great afternoon spent in the company of a lovely couple. Here's to many more birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment