Sunday, February 2, 2020

ATTACK OF THE GIANT DIRECTOR! Seeing Yoshikazu Ishii's Latest Film!

From left to right: Yoshikazu Ishii, Miku Chiba, Yusuke Sugiyama, and Takashi Toyota. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today, I attended a screening of the film Attack of the Giant Teacher (2019), directed by Yoshikazu Ishii. It was my first time to see the film, and what better way than on the big screen.


I was surprised to learn that film is already getting a Blu-ray, DVD, and VHS (!) release in America when no such release is currently scheduled for Japan. The movie itself is quite ambitious for its low budget. There are definitely some amusing moments, but I wish the film had been paced better. Almost all the action happens in the last five or 10 minutes.

Yoshikazu Ishii. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Prior to Attack of the Giant Teacher, there was a screening of another of Ishii-san's recent flicks, Game Master (2017). I missed the screening, but hopefully I'll be able to catch it another time. Special guests Yusuke Sugiyama and Miku Chiba only appeared in Game Master, so I missed their performances.

Most of all, I was glad to see Ishii-san again, considering it's been more than a year since I last saw him. I'm glad to see that he's kept busy as a film and TV director. I was certainly very happy for him that Attack of the Giant Teacher is coming to home video in America. Well done, Ishii-san!

No comments:

Post a Comment