Thursday, November 23, 2017

P-LABO FILMFES 2017! Toho Alums Converge on Chofu!

Godzilla scribes Wataru Mimura (left) and Hiroshi Kashiwabara. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Tonight, once I was finished at work, I headed over to the Chofu City Cultural Center in Chofu, Tokyo, to attend Wataru Mimura's P-LABO FILMFES. I always try to make an effort to attend each this, and this time I was just barely able to make it in time! 

Hiroshi Kashiwabara. Photo by Brett Homenick.

By the time I had arrived, the last short film was being screened. I took my seat and watched the remainder of it. It was a surreal story with a bizarre (and horrific) twist ending. Despite the low production values, it held my attention.

 Wataru Mimura. Photo by Brett Homenick.

When the lights came up, former Toho president (and Godzilla series producer) Shogo Tomiyama got up and made his way toward the exit. I was able to greet him before he left. 

I hope the fine folks of Itasca, IL, aren't too jealous.

My main purpose of attending the film festival was to reunite with the Godzilla series personalities in attendance, particularly Wataru Mimura and Hiroshi Kashiwabara. They are veterans of the Heisei and Millennium series and are also some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.


And that's all for tonight! Although my lateness caused me to miss most of it, I certainly enjoy my time at this year's P-LABO FILMFES. Short and sweet, as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment