Friday, June 2, 2017

Unwrapping Bob Strickland, Kyoto's Resident Mummy Actor and Restaurateur

Bob Strickland (center) poses for a photo with rock star David Bowie, who often visited Kyoto.

In 2015, I blogged about the Japanese horror TV series Kyofu no Miira (1961), which is about a reanimated mummy. The series starred an American named Bob Strickland in the role of the mummy, and shortly after I became aware of his part in the series, I set out to contact him.

After doing some research, I found that he lived in Kyoto and owned a restaurant in the area. I made a call to the restaurant and spoke with his widow, Tokiko, who informed me that Strickland had died the year before.

Bob Strickland (second from the left) at his company, Continental Trailways Bus System.

It wasn't until the end of last month that I was able to return to Kyoto and set aside enough time to visit the restaurant myself in an attempt to find out more about Bob Strickland. I was warmly welcomed by Tokiko, who made available her various scrapbooks about her late husband and their restaurant. The following information about Strickland and his restaurant were culled from the various clippings found in the scrapbooks, as well as my conversations with Tokiko.

Bob Strickland in between former Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Muriel Humphrey.

Bob Strickland was born in Capitol Hill, Oklahoma. His family moved to California during his youth. There he attended Long Beach City College and Long Beach State College, from which he graduated in 1956. During his time in Los Angeles, Strickland worked as a bank clerk.

Former President Bill Clinton and Academy Award-winning actor Tom Hanks (and his family) have been among the many patrons at Ashiya Steak House.

In the beginning, Strickland arrived in Japan with the intention of becoming a student and probably had no expectations of becoming an entertainer. After arriving, he learned Japanese for about three years at the Kyoto Japanese Language School. He also studied Japanese art history simultaneously at Kyoto University. While a student, Strickland worked various jobs in the area to earn a living.

Bob Strickland and his wife, Tokiko.

Strickland eventually became a member of a comedy troupe called Warai no Okoku (Kingdom of Laughter) in Osaka where he apprenticed under Gannosuke Ashiya, a popular Osaka comedian. This apprenticeship more or less required Bob to become a gofer for Ashiya. Together, the two appeared on TV, the stage, and in three movies, and Bob drew attention for his performing in a regional Japanese dialect.

 The outside of Ashiya Steak House in Kyoto. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Two and a half years later, Bob was presented with the stage name Ashiya Ganta, which was likely the first time an American (or even a foreigner) was given such an honor. Given the boundless appreciation that Strickland had for his mentor, Bob legally changed his name to Robert Ashiya Ganta Strickland.

Tokiko remains busy at Ashiya Steak House to this day. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Not long thereafter, Strickland became the president of Continental Trailways Bus System. Moreover, Strickland and his wife, Tokiko, also founded Ashiya Steak House in Kyoto. Strickland designed the restaurant himself down to the smallest detail. The building itself was extremely old, having been unoccupied for about 10 years. His wife wanted to modernize the restaurant, but Strickland refused and wanted it to remain as authentic as possible. He even went so far as to wear a kimono and bow to his patrons in the traditional Japanese way.

Yours truly with Tokiko at Ashiya Steak House.

The high-priced steakhouse and gallery has attracted a number of celebrities and luminaries since its opening in the 1960s, including: former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Henry Fowler, former Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R-PA), former U.S. ambassador to Italy Clare Boothe Luce, and of course many Japanese movie stars like Ken Takakura. More recently, former President Bill Clinton and actors Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood have dined there.

I had a wonderful time meeting Tokiko at Ashiya Steak House, and I'd recommend it to anyone who can afford spending a couple of hundreds of dollars on a delicious steak dinner. (Suffice it to say, it is most certainly not for travelers on a budget.) I'm also pleased to have unwrapped the mystery of the American actor who starred as a mummy in a Japan TV series more than 50 years ago.

13 comments:

  1. Bob was my downstairs neighbor when I lived in Huntington Beach,Ca. He was an amazing character. He was only 16 when he joined the Navy to become a fighter pilot and flew with the Black Sheep Squadron during the Korean War. He had some amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by! If you have any other memories, please feel free to share them. Many thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Hello Brett...I was close with Bob...he brought me to Kyoto and introduced me to Tokiko and Kobe Beef and many of his friends...which became an opportunity to live and work in Kyoto...I stayed and Bob went back to California and I lived in Kyoto alone for 5 years...your research and writings are very good and accurate...feel free to contact me
      wlenz359@msn.com

      Delete
  2. I recall Bob well, we were in VA hospital in Long beach CA. In 2010. Semper Fi my friend. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett,
    Bob was more than a friend to me and my family, he had become one of the family. I have many stories he told me and would love to sit down and talk with you. My son has Bobs fighter pilot jacket and a few other treasures Bob gave him. You can contact me at tom@docustomz.com
    Thanks for keeping Bobs memory alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob was my Dad. I am glad you were able to get to know him. He was a very unique person. I am terribly sad to hear that he passed. We had some mending to do and it hurts that it didn't happen.

      Delete
  4. Brett,
    My name is Karen-Strickland-Green. Bob was my Dad. He was 16 and my mother, Rosemary Prickett was 15 when I was conceived. They married and were 16 and 17 when I was born. My Dad faked his age to get into the Navy at short of 18. My mother was too young and too immature to care for me. Her mother reported her to the authorities and my Dad's parents Orville and Mary Strickland were given custody of me at the age of 2 1/2. I am grateful every day that they raised me. My Dad was in my life because of them but when I was 8, 1958 he boarded a Japanese Freighter called the kosi maru and sailed to Japan. He had fallen in love with it during his time in the Navy. He had a colorful life. He married Tokiko sometime in the early 60's. Until I was 12 i did not understand why I had a Mom, a Pop and a Dad. Dad flew over for my birthday and told me the story. Rose used to come and visit me on my birthday and Christmas. I was told she was a friend of the family by the folks. Now I knew she was my mother. We did not have a relationship as "mom" was very much against it. Another long story there when I was grown. When I was 15 I flew to Japan for a couple of months. Dad and Tokiko lived in Tokyo at the time and had not yet started the restaurant. My Dad had many business ventures in Japan over his life. Some successful and some not. The Ashiya was the greatest of his accomplishments and his legacy. In 1989 he moved back to the states and re-kindled a relationship with me. He kept me at bay for many years until then. We had an interesting series of adventures until about 1994. He was a true story teller and not all of his stories were true but he had an intriguing life. Unfortunately we did not part the way I wanted. It makes me sad to hear that he has passed. I had truly hoped to mend things with him. I waited a lifetime to have a relationship with him but he was a troubled soul. But I love him, he was my Dad. I do not know what led you to research him but I am glad you did. I have been trying to find out if he was still with us or not. My daughter and her husband had recently researched the restaurant and discovered that Tokiko was still living. According to my Dad she divorced him in '88 or so and that was why he had to move back to the states. That was when he finally contacted me and wanted a relationship. I was 39. He and I were not close when I was growing up. I know that Tokiko did help him after that but have been unable to get any contact with her. Thank you for listening. I have volumes of pictures and memento's. Perhaps you would like to chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen.. this is Billy...I was close with your Dad...we both drove his Corvette with a bike trailer on the back with his Harley on the trailer...from California up to Clark Fork, Idaho to the ranch that you used to live at...and he lived in the trailer next door.
      Would be interesting to talk to you.
      wlenz359@msn.com

      Delete
  5. I met Bob in 1970 while visiting Kyoto. I enjoyed his stories about his studies and his motion picture career. I think he had a white 1965 Ford Mustang. Ted Glattke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Karen, my name is Rick. I never met your father in person but did have the pleasure of talking to him on the phone one time a few days before Thanksgiving when I was at my mom's in Redondo Beach, CA. in the mid 1990's, I believe. I lived in Kyoto for about six and a half years and was home on a visit when I called him on behalf of our mutual friends. We had planned on meeting up to talk about Kyoto and our friends but unfortunately the meeting never happened. I actually heard a lot of stories about the restaurant and him being the last and youngest member of the black sheep squadron. There was a huge picture, about a 4' by 8' enlarged photo of him, on the wing of his plane, hanging from the ceiling at a local Harley shop in Kyoto. I also received copies of some documents from the military and still have a pair of leather chaps that he wore when he rode his Harley with mutual friends of ours. I also rode with the same group of friends after Robert had returned to the U.S. At the time, there were many pictures of him alone and with our friends on the wall of a favorite American style restaurant called "Speak Easy" in northeast Kyoto. My memory is fading but I believe he may have also visited a small drinking establishment that one of my friends owned. There were also news articles and memorabilia of him on the walls of that establishment. He was quite the revered 'foreigner' in my group of friends. The one connection I haven't mentioned yet, as there was no mention in previous replies above, is that of Billy Strickland. Are you familiar with him? I knew him and a little bit of his history as well. Very nice young man. Buff, tattooed and modeled clothing for Harley motorcycle magazines. He also liked making jewelry. If you are interested in contacting me, I will share with you anything I can. japanman@charter.net, Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rick...this is Billy..contact me at:
      wlenz359@msn.com

      Delete
  7. Brett. My late wife and I enjoyed a fine meal at Ashiya in the winter of 1986. We had asked the concierge at the original Miyako Hotel for a nice place to eat. The cabbie took us to a narrow driveway and indicated that we should walk migi no kata e (to the right). There was a small roll of paper housed within a napkin ring with our names on it. The only other group for dinner was a birthday dinner for an Ojiisan (grandpa) comprised of 8 folks. We sat at the "counter" and watched Tokiko and I believe, her son cook our meal Teppan style. Delicious! We also visited the upstairs loft in which were displayed art made by hennagaijin from the Kyoto area. Also, we were shown the photo of the young Japanese aviator whom Bob had shot down during his time with the Black Sheep, and the story behind the gent's finding out about Ashiya and its owners through a story in a local shimbun. I remember that Tokiko mentioned that Bob was the youngest (and last to join) member of the squadron. I may have that wrong, but that is my remembrance. Since my wife passed, I have been to Ashiya only once. This November will be my 60th trip to Nihon. I have so many Tomodachi (friends), there, and so enjoy our personal and business friendships. Nihon ni ikimashou! Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate twice at Ashiya. Once I ate alone in 1974. It came to $34 total. In 1982 I ate there with my girlfriend for a total of $116. I loved the drunken chicken appetizer. Visited the art gallery upstairs, a little cramped I recall.

    ReplyDelete