Friday, January 1, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Ushering in 2016 with TAC!

Former Ultraman Ace cast member Mitsuhiro Sano sings a karaoke version of his TV series' theme song. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Last night (January 1) I paid a visit to Poppo, the bar owned and operated by actor Mitsuhiro Sano, best known to fans in Japan and the West as TAC member Kozo Yoshimura in Ultraman Ace (1972-73). I spent a few hours at the bar, chatting with Sano-san and a fellow bar patron. It was an enjoyable evening, and a perfect way to ring in the new year.

What a gift! Sano-san presented me with an Ultraman calendar and signed it for me. What a nice surprise! Photo by Brett Homenick.

Of note, I was able to confirm that his name is, in fact, Mitsuhiro Sano, as opposed to Koyo Sano. "Koyo" is an incorrect reading of his name's kanji. Despite what most sources say in English, his name is indeed Mitsuhiro Sano.


After singing several karaoke songs (by the likes of Billy Joel, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and others), Sano-san gave me an Ultraman calendar as a gift and proceeded to sign it for me. How cool is that? Paying a visit to Mitsuhiro Sano was a great way to kick off the new year, and I look forward to all that will happen in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment