Sunday, November 23, 2014

MECHAGODZILLA'S SCREENWRITER! Hiroyasu Yamaura Headlines an Event in Kawasaki!

Kampai! Screenwriter Hiroyasu Yamaura and I toast each other during our first meeting.


I've just come back from a very cool event in Kawasaki, Kanagawa, with screenwriter Hiroyasu Yamaura. Yamaura-san was the principal screenwriter for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974). According to Yamaura-san, he was personally asked by director Jun Fukuda to write the script for Mechagodzilla. He completed the script by himself, but afterward director Fukuda rewrote it, which is why both men are credited as writers.



Yamaura-san's other credits include episodes of Ultra Q (1966), Space Giants (1966-67), Ultra Seven (1967-68), Mirrorman (1971-72), Galaxy Express 999 (1978-81), and Ultraman 80 (1980-81), among many other titles.

Yamaura-san was a very personable and friendly individual. During dinner, when he mentioned that his favorite movie is Singin' in the Rain (1952), I began singing the title song, which Yamaura-san joined me in singing. After I told him I grew up in San Diego, he told me that he's visited the city in the past and enjoyed it immensely. We also sang the traditional Japanese song "Furusato," which can be heard in War of the Gargantuas (1966).


All in all, it was a wonderful event, and it was quite an honor to meet the screenwriter for one of my favorite Godzilla movies. I look forward to meetin Yamaura-san again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment