Sunday, March 31, 2019

The Return of Ultraman Gaia!

Takeshi Yoshioka. Photo by Brett Homenick.

 Also on Wednesday, I paid another visit to the bar owned and operated by actor Takeshi Yoshioka, who played Ultraman Gaia's human alter ego on Tsuburaya Productions' Ultraman Gaia (1998-99). Although it had been a long time since I set foot in his establishment, Yoshioka-san immediately recognized me and commented that I'm "forever young." Hey, those were his words, not mine!


It was a lot of fun hanging out with Yoshioka-san again. At one point, he picked up his smartphone and called Maria Theresa Gow, his Ultraman Gaia co-star, whom I've met several times. Then he handed the phone over to me for me to chat with her. That was certainly unexpected, but it was another fun memory from the evening. Many thanks to Yoshioka-san for his unparalleled hospitality!

Postscript: On Saturday night (March 30), when I entered the train to go home, Ms. Gow was standing right there on the train. So we had another nice chat. Quite a coincidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment