Monday, January 11, 2016

THREE GIANT STARS: THE GREATEST REUNION ON EARTH! Akira Takarada, Yosuke Natsuki, and Linda Miller Join Forces in Tokyo!

Yosuke Natsuki, Linda Miller, and Akira Takarada pose for pictures at a special event in Nakano, Tokyo. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

January 11 saw the final of three events in Tokyo for Linda Miller during this visit. It was particularly special for Linda, as it was the first time she'd seen her old friend, Toho star Yosuke Natsuki, in more than 40 years.

The event took place on the 11th floor of the Nakano Sun Plaza, and (for my money) it was much more fun than yesterday's Super Festival.


Before the event, a Japanese fan sitting next to me asked me a question. He wanted to know if I was an actor in Japanese films. I laughed and assured him I wasn't. Last month, I was asked the same question at a different event. I wonder if a pattern is starting to develop.

Yosuke Natsuki signs autographs for the fans in attedance. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Shortly thereafter, the three actors took the stage, and the Q&A session was hosted by Akira Takarada himself. (There was no other moderator; Takarada-san himself was it!) Linda recalled her memories of King Kong Escapes (1967), and then Takarada-san went over Natsuki-san's filmography. Takarada-san worked from a few notes, and it was clear he had done his homework. He came prepared with many facts and figures, even King Kong's weight and height!


Several times during the talk, I was asked questions by the actors onstage. For example, Takarada-san asked me who the monsters were in Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster (since the Japanese title doesn't exactly make it clear). Much to my surprise, Takarada-san spent some time talking about me to the audience (describing my time in Nakatsugawa, etc.).

Natsuki-san asked Linda some questions about her experience making King Kong Escapes and then talked about the conversation that he and I had, which eventually led to Linda's discovery. In addition, when he mentioned that he was in the movie The H-Man (1958) for one cut, he looked at me for conformation. (Since Natsuki-san appears in two different scenes, it's a bit more accurate to say he was in two cuts.) Suffice it to say, it was a lot of fun to interact with three great Toho stars from the audience.


Once the Q&A wrapped, it was time for autographs. Shortly going through everybody's line, I had to leave for work.


It was a great event, and before I left, I commended Ms. Kojima on another job well done. I had a great time, and I look forward to attending other such events in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment