Sunday, July 12, 2020

Keepin' Cool in the Summer Heat with Tokusatsu!

Teruyoshi Nakano. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Although they are a lot more rare these days, last night was a Saturday evening like many others in previous months and years. Former Toho SFX director Teruyoshi Nakano attended a similar event to those he has guested in the past. I think we have to give him a lot of credit for returning, given the current situation.


Naturally, the requisite safety precautions were taken. And my mask only came off long enough for the above photo to be taken. Of course, it was another fun evening, and I had the chance to ask Nakano-san a question, even though I knew there was little chance he'd know the answer.

In my second interview with Shigeo Kato, Kato-san described a scene in Submersion of Japan (1973) that doesn't appear to be in the film at all. He described a scene in a house in which fireballs were dropped on the actors in a fairly dangerous stunt. As predicted, Nakano-san didn't recall it, but since it was filmed on the drama side of the production, it wouldn't have been under his supervision, anyway. Well, it was worth a shot.

Suffice it to say, another great time was had by all. 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Brett, I was wondering, have you seen Prophecies of Nostradamu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you mentioned Shigeo Kato in this post, I should tell you something I discovered. There is a memorial screening in his honor from August 10-16, at the Kamakura city kawakita film museum. The address is 2 chome-2-2-12 yukinoshita, kamakura, Kanagawa 248-0005, Japan. The times are August 10, 10:00, August 12, 2:00, August 13, 10:00, August 14, 2:00, August 15, 10:00, August 16, 2:00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to check that out.

      Delete
  3. Dear Brett, it is me with the friend who is moving again. My friend needs to know two more things before he moves away. He would like to know your opinion on actress yasuko sawaguchi and if you plan to meet her? The other question is, since you manage to get some pictures of Motoyoshi oda, he is wondering if you can get some pictures of Shigeo tanaka?

    ReplyDelete