Saturday, May 23, 2020

Danny Goldman, Godzilla 1985's Casting Director, Passes Away at 80

Actor Danny Goldman in the famous opening scene from the Mel Brooks comedy Young Frankenstein (1974).

Actor Danny Goldman passed away on April 12 due to stroke-related complications at his L.A. home. He was 80. Goldman was an actor known for his roles in the hit films MASH (1970) and Young Frankenstein (1974), but folks of my generation would probably know him best as the voice of Brainy Smurf on the long-running cartoon series The Smurfs (1981-89).

The news of Goldman's passing was widely reported last month, but what I didn't realize at the time (until director R. J. Kizer pointed it out to me yesterday) was that he also worked as the casting director for the American scenes of Godzilla 1985

Suffice it to say, I was floored to learn that the voice of Brainy Smurf had worked in any capacity on Godzilla 1985. I can't begin to explain how I missed that intriguing bit of information in all my research of the film, but it just goes to show that you can always dig deeper. 

RIP, Danny Goldman.

No comments:

Post a Comment