Monday, October 7, 2019

Bringing Godzilla into Focus!

 Masahiro Kishimoto. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday, October 5, I was pleased to meet veteran Toho cinemtopgrapher Masahiro Kishimoto, whose credits date back to the 1960s, including the Crazy Cats vehicle Operation Crazy (1966) as an assistant cameraman. He went on to be the (drama side) cinematographer on Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992), Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla (1994), Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000), GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001), and Godzilla against Mechagodzilla (2002). 


I found Kishimoto-san to be very friendly, and he was interested in Western movies, too. He also seemed fascinated by my interest in Japanese films and expressed his desire for me to spread the word about them in English. Well, I'm certainly doing my best in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment