Sunday, July 8, 2018

Shibuya's Moyai Statue!

Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Wednesday, I met a friend of mine in front of Shibuya Station's Moyai Statue. When I arrived there, I realized that I pass this statue rather often and don't even realize it! Despite looking like something from Easter Island (or even Seatopia), I suppose it's a bit easy to miss if you aren't looking for it.


After reading up on it, I noticed that a few travel websites seem bemused by the fact that it's not as well known a meeting place in Shibuya as the Hachiko Statue (from which it sits just a few meters away on the station's southwest side). Well, I could offer up my own explanation. The smoking section is situated literally right next to the statue, and when I was there, several smokers couldn't be bothered to stay in their designated smoking area. They blatantly lit up and puffed away while sitting right next to the statue. In order to get away from the stench, I had to stand next to the nearby bus stop. So much for using it as a meeting place.


The Moyai Statue is still worth checking out, even if the smokers in the area will go out of their way to make sure you don't stay a long time. Given the situation there, I think the Hachiko Statue will continuous its reign as the reigning champ of Shibuya.

No comments:

Post a Comment