Monday, October 9, 2017

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERUYOSHI NAKANO! Toho's Former SFX Director Turns 82 in Style!

 Teruyoshi Nakano's birthday cake. Photo by Brett Homenick.

October 9 marks Teruyoshi Nakano's 82nd birthday, and I just returned from the celebration. I was very happy to be there, as Nakano-san is not only a true gentleman, but one of the most important figures in the history of Godzilla films.

 Blowing out the candles! Photo by Brett Homenick.

When the birthday cake was brought out, Nakano-san blew out the candles, and everyone in attendance applauded. 

I wonder what he wished for. Photo by Brett Homenick.

After that, anyone who brought gifts gave them to the SFX director. I brought a box of assorted Japanese treats and presented it to Nakano-san.

 Receiving a birthday gift. Photo by Brett Homenick.

One of the presents Nakano-san received was a Century II felt-tip pen (the kind that President Trump uses), which was something that he wanted for a while. I wish I could say my gift was anywhere near that cool!


It occurred to me that I've attended a birthday celebration (and sometimes more than one!) for Nakano-san every year since 2012. That's quite a record. If they happen, I'll be there!

Happy birthday, Nakano-san!

No comments:

Post a Comment