Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Seeing Daimajin Strikes Again in Jimbocho!

On Tuesday, October 6, I went to the Jimbocho Theater to catch a rare screening of the Daiei classic Daimajin Strikes Again (1966). This, of course, is the third in the three-film series, and the one that focuses on children as the central characters.

The Jimbocho Theater. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The film looked great in 35mm, and it's probably been a good 15 to 20 years since I last saw it. So, in some ways, it was like seeing it for the first time. It was quite enjoyable, and while some fans consider it the weakest of the trilogy, I'm not sure I can agree. 

Interestingly, the film was not screened as part of any tokusatsu program but rather one that highlights movies that take place in the mountains! Suffice it to say, that's quite an unusual theme. Nevertheless, I immensely enjoyed seeing the film in 35mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment