Sunday, August 2, 2020

Gammera! Gammera!

Photo © Artie Butler.

I recently looked at my email archives and found my correspondences with music arranger and songwriter Artie Butler. Mr. Butler has an extensive resume, but in particular he is credited as music arranger and conductor of the Gammera theme for Gammera the Invincible (1966), which is where I come in. I was first in communication with Mr. Butler in October 2007 about an interview, and after a long break, discussions resumed in October 2009. Eventually, after he watched a DVD of Gammera to refresh his memories, Mr. Butler wrote me the following on January 1, 2010:
I finally looked at the film. I have to be honest. All I remember about working on this music, is doing a few recording sessions with Wes Farrell in New York. I really don't remember much about the sessions at all. It was so many years ago. It's amazing though after all these years how the film holds up as a classic for that type movie in it's day. What fun. Sorry I could not be more help to you. 
Warmest regards, 
Artie Butler
Given that a proper interview is not likely to happen, I felt it was important to document Mr. Butler's memories of working on Gammera.

No comments:

Post a Comment