Sunday, March 22, 2020

AN EVENING WITH A YAKUZA ACTOR! Meeting Jiro Okazaki!

 Jiro Okazaki. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Well, it certainly has been a long time since I last updated this blog. That's primarily due to the fact that the coronavirus caused several events and other functions to be cancelled. Things are slowly starting to pick back up, however, so we'll see how things go from here.


The event I attended tonight was guested by actor Jiro Okazaki. Okazaki-san began his acting career with Toei in 1964, and he still acts to this day. In the 1960s and '70s, he appeared in numerous films for Toei and Nikkatsu, even turning up in Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970). On TV, Okazaki-san appeared as George Miyamoto in episode 9 of Strada 5 (1974), episode 19 of Fight! Dragon (1974), and episode 1 of Kaiketsu Zubat (1977) as Goro Asuka.

It was my first time to meet him, and he was surprised to see an American at his event. He commented that my presence made it an international affair, which I guess it did. He was a very cool guy, and I enjoyed my time hanging out with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment