Sunday, February 9, 2020

The Human Bullet Returns!

Minori Terada. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

Today, I attended a 35mm screening of the erotic drama Love Hotel (1985), a fairly well regarded film directed by the late Shinji Somai. I went into the film not knowing what to expect, but I have to admit that it left me cold. I just wasn't that impressed by what I saw, despite a few satisfying scenes. But I guess they can't all be winners.


Love Hotel stars Minori Terada, so it ought to come as no surprise that he was the evening's guest of honor. Terada-san stars in Kihachi Okamoto's The Human Bullet (1968), but he is also known for his supporting parts in such films as Okamoto's Red Lion (1969), Station (1981), Hayao Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky (1986), Akio Jissoji's Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis (1988), and Ultra Q: The Movie (1990). On TV, he guest-starred in Ultraman (1966-67) episode 14 as the assistant truck driver.


I met Terada-san last August for the first time, and given his resume in the world of cinema, I welcomed the chance to meet him again. During the evening, he gave out fliers for a concert devoted to the films of Akio Jissoji that will take place later this month. I'm not sure yet if I will attend, but I'll certainly give it some thought.

A great time was had by all, and I must thank Terada-san for being such a cool guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment