Sunday, February 9, 2020

Seeing Gappa on the Big Screen!

Masanori Machida poses answers questions next to a poster for Gappa. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

On Saturday, Februaty 8, I attended a screening of the Nikkatsu kaiju classic Gappa the Triphibian Monster (a.k.a. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet, 1967) in 35mm. It was my first time to see the film in 35mm, and suffice it to say, it's never looked better.

Masanori Machida. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I hadn't seen Gappa in several years, so I wasn't sure how my opinion of the film would hold up. But I completely enjoyed it. The movie held my attention, and I was surprised when I realized that it was approaching its climax. (I thought the movie would go on for another 20 or 30 minutes!) There's just no substitute for seeing these fun monster romps in 35mm.


The screening was followed by a Q&A with former child actor Masanori Machida, who played Saki in the film. Naturally, Machida-san is a regular presence on this blog, and I've become quite familiar with him over the years. He's always a blast to hang out with, and this time was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment