Wednesday, January 8, 2020

A Comedic Start to 2020!

 Fumio Ishimori. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Over the holidays, I received a letter from Fumio Ishimori, who invited me to attend a play in Asakusa for which he wrote the script. Today was the first performance, and Ishimori-san was in attendance, so naturally I went, too. I've seen several of Ishimori-san's plays in Asakusa. He often writes scripts for this comedy troupe. I hadn't seen Ishimori-san since June, so I was especially pleased to attend. Besides, I really wanted to greet him and personally wish him a happy New Year.


Ishimori-san was a screenwriter who wrote many scripts for Shochiku and Nikkatsu, including Toshio Masuda's war film Monument to the Girls' Corps (1968). Genre fans might know Ishimori-san as co-screenwriter of the Toho horror film Crest of the Wolf (1973) with Jun Fukuda. He also penned numerous episodes of Kamen Rider (1971-73), along with episodes of Ultraman Ace (1972-73) and Zone Fighter (1973).

Ishimori-san was a true gentleman, as he always is. I had a great time in his company, and I hope to see him again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment