Saturday, December 28, 2019

Seeing Toho's Half Human on the Big Screen!

 Signage advertising the Toho all-nighter at Shin-Bungeiza. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I really don't like all-nighters. I value sleep too much to sit through them. Besides, I find it's usually hard to enjoy a movie when it's 4:00 a.m., and you realize you're still miles and miles away from home (more specifically, your bed). But this all-nighter at Shin-Bungeiza (in Ikebukuro) was too good to pass up. It featured a rare 35mm screening of Toho's "lost" Abominable Snowman picture Half Human (1955).


The film print for Half Human wasn't in the best shape. There were a quite a few scratches, jumps, and other imperfections. But it was still a revelation to see the film in 35mm (and especially without the timecode at the bottom of the screen!). For the first time, I noticed Shigeo Kato's role as one of the primitive mountain men. Nothing beats seeing a film like this in the best-possible quality.


After Half Human, I stayed for a screening of The Human Vapor (1960), which I'd never seen before 35mm. Unlike Half Human, this print was virtually flawless. It'd also probably been years since I'd seen the film at all, and I'm much more familiar with the American version (with its focus on Yoshio Tsuchiya's Human Vapor character) than the Japanese (which centers on Tatsuya Mihashi's police detective). 

I decided against seeing the other two, especially since I've seen Matango several times on the big screen and didn't really feel much need to see it again. Besides, I got to see the two flicks I really wanted. Suffice it to say, it was a great time at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment