Saturday, December 14, 2019

In the Company of a Daiei Actor!

Jun Fujimaki. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

Tonight, I attended a special event with former Daiei actor Jun Fujimaki. Fujimaki-san played Kogenta Sarumaru in Daimajin (1966), Yasutaro Oki in 100 Monsters (1968), JGSDF officer Okazaki in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995), and Commander Yui Ibuki in Dengeki Sentai Changeman (1985-86). I met him earlier this year, but I jumped at the chance to spend an evening with him and chat with him in more detail.


I was quite pleased (and rather surprised) by how much time I was able to spend speaking with him. One thing he told me was that the reason he had so little time in 100 Monsters is that he was busy shooting the hit TV series The Guardman (1965-71) at the time. 100 Monsters was filmed in Kyoto, and The Guardman was shot in Tokyo, so the difficulty there should be pretty obvious. Also, his favorite tokusatsu production of his own is Daimajin.

Suffice it to say, it was a very enjoyable evening with a great actor from the Showa era. Fujimaki-san is a heck of a nice guy. He even complimented my terrible Japanese, and if that doesn't prove he goes out of his way to be friendly, nothing else would!

No comments:

Post a Comment