Monday, October 7, 2019

SHOWA HEROES ASSEMBLE! Kikaider and Moonlight Mask Join Forces in Tokyo!

Daisuke Ban (left) poses with fellow TV hero Koichi Ose. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Sunday morning, October 6, I headed to Nakano, Tokyo, for a special event headlined by two of television's greatest heroes: Daisuke Ban and Koichi Ose. 

Koichi Ose. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

Ose-san starred in Moonlight Mask (1958-59) as the titular hero. He later starred in another Senkosha-produced series called The Samurai (1962-65) as the heroic Shintaro Akikusa, the samurai of the program's title

Daisuke Ban. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Ban-san starred in Kikaider (1972-73) and Inazuman (1974) and went on to play Battle Cossack in Battle Fever J (1979-80).


It's also worth noting that both heroes have strong international followings. Kikaider was a big hit in Hawaii and still has a sizable fandom to this day. In Australia, The Samurai is still remembered well by many fans. In recent years, both Ban-san and Ose-san have made trips there to meet their respective fan bases.


I was especially pleased that Ose-san remembered me, as I'd met him two times before. All I know is, when I get to be his age, I hope I look half as good as he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment