Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Zombies on the Loose!

Atsushi Muroga. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday, August 31, I went to an event attended by a director whom I'd never met before, Atsushi Muroga. Truthfully, I'm not that familiar with his work, as he specializes in V-cinema (i.e., direct-to-video flicks). But there was one credit on his resume that had me intrigued.


That title is the low-budget zombie thriller, Junk (2000). Confession time: I've never actually seen the movie. But I do remember seeing it in video stores (probably Tower Records, if I recall correctly) in the early 2000s, and its DVD cover art was always intriguing. In retrospect, I'm a little surprise I never took the plunge and bought it at the time, as I was quite enthusiastic about checking out all kinds of content from Japan. But I guess my general lack of interest in zombie films as a sub-genre ultimately prevailed. I still have to give it a look someday.

Masanori Machida. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Also at the event was the always affable Masanori Machida, who recently appeared in a movie directed by Muroga-san called Delivery. Machida-san was on hand to help promote the movie.


And there you have it. Another fun evening in the history books. See y'all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment