Sunday, June 16, 2019

Ishimori-san Returns to the Stage!

Fumio Ishimori, after the Friday evening performance of his play. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

On Friday night, June 14, I left work and immediately headed to a theater in Naka-Meguro to catch Fumio Ishimori's latest stage play. I've blogged about Ishimori-san countless times, but as a reminder, Ishimori-san was a screenwriter who wrote many scripts for Shochiku and Nikkatsu, including Toshio Masuda's war film Monument to the Girls' Corps (1968). Genre fans might know Ishimori-san as co-screenwriter of the Toho horror film Crest of the Wolf (1973) with Jun Fukuda. He also penned numerous episodes of Kamen Rider (1971-73), along with episodes of Ultraman Ace (1972-73) and Zone Fighter (1973).


After the show finished, I caught up with Ishimori-san, who invited me to stick around and share drinks with the cast. We all had a great time taking photos and generally shooting the breeze. I missed Ishimori-san at a few of his other recent stage plays, and aside from a chance encounter last March at Kichijoji Station, I hadn't seen him since last year. I'm very glad to have had the chance to see him again on Friday evening.

Here's to Ishimori-san's continued success!

No comments:

Post a Comment