Sunday, May 19, 2019

Roll with the Changeman!

 From left to right: Jun Fujimaki, Mai Oishi, and Shiro Izumi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I'm not the world's biggest Super Sentai fan, but even I know when such an event is just too good to pass up. Today's Showa Hero event was just that. The focus was Dengeki Sentai Changeman (1985-86), and the presence of one guest in particular was more than enough to motivate me to attend.

Jun Fujimaki. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

That guest was Jun Fujimaki. Fujimaki-san played Kogenta Sarumaru in Daimajin (1966), Yasutaro Oki in 100 Monsters (1968), JGSDF officer Okazaki from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995), and Commander Yui Ibuki in Changeman. Suffice it to say, that is an impressive list of credits,  and Fujimaki-san's appearance is what put it over the top for me.


I brought a few items for him to sign. One was a foldout poster of 100 Monsters (already signed by composer Chumei Watanabe), and after he signed it, he spent a few moments taking a close look at it. When I brought out my DVD sleeve of the Daiei flick The Falcon Fighters (1969) for him to sign, he was pleasantly surprised and commented on how nostalgic it was for him. He also signed a DVD sleeve of 100 Monsters, which I previously had signed by the female lead, Miwa Takada. Fujimaki-san was a total gentleman, and I was very grateful for the opportunity to meet him.

Mai Oishi. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

The next guest was Mai Oishi, who starred as Change Phoenix on Changeman. Even though I hadn't seen year for a while, she remembered me from the previous time we met.


Oishi-san is a great lady, and it's the fine folks like her who've made me more interesting in checking out Super Sentai.

Shiro Izumi. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

The final guest was Shiro Izumi, who was Change Pegasus from Dengeki Sentai Changeman and Dragon Ranger from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (1992-93).


And that's a wrap! It was another fun event, and a great way to spend an afternoon. Many thanks to the hard-working staff who made this event possible. Looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment