Sunday, February 17, 2019

An Evening with Nikkatsu Actress Makiko Aoi

Makiko Aoi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday night, February 16, I attended a special dinner event with former Nikkatsu actress Makiko Aoi. It was my first time to meet her, and while I'm not as familiar with her filmography as many of the actors and actresses I meet, I seize any opportunity I can to meet performers from the Showa era.

Born on May 26, 1940, Aoi-san started her acting career in the late 1950s. She joined Nikkatsu Studios, and her acting credits include Seijun Suzuki's The Boy Who Came Back (1958), the genre-ish The Woman from the Sea (1959), and I Hate But Love (1962) with Japanese superstar Yujiro Ishihara.


I arrived late due to my work schedule, but almost as soon as I sat down, Aoi-san filled my bowl with nabe. When the special guests gives you dinner, it's always a lot of fun. Aoi-san, as you'd expect, was very friendly. I look forward to checking out some of her Nikkatsu films in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment