Monday, September 24, 2018

P-LABO FILMFES 2018! The Annual Indie Film Festival Returns!

Actress Kaname Wakaba. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Monday, September 24, was a national holiday in Japan, but not for me. Unlike most lucky office employees in the country, I had to go to work. This also was the day that Wataru Mimura's annual P-LABO FILMFES was held in Chofu. Thankfully, due to a change in my work schedule, I managed to squeeze in a visit for just over an hour. I'm glad I did.

The event was MCed by actress Kaname Wakaba, whose sole tokusatsu outing was episode 10 of Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy (2004). She has occasionally MCed P-LABO FILMFES in the past, and it was the first time I'd seen her in a while.

With Wataru Mimura.

I was able to take in a few of the indie flicks screened the festival. The ones I saw were very short (not more than just a few minutes), and all were shot on video. Quite a few were humorous, but there were a few that were more horror-oriented. They were fairly enjoyable for what they were.

Toward the end, I visited Mimura-san in the green room. I hadn't seen him in a few months, so we did a bit of catching up. I wish I could have stayed longer, but some folks have to work for a living. There's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment