Wednesday, September 13, 2017

THE EIGHTH SAMURAI! Visiting Actor Shigeo Kato!

Actor Shigeo Kato. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today, I spent another pleasant afternoon with actor Shigeo Kato, a veteran of countless Toho movies dating back to the early 1950s. At 92 years old, Kato-san is still in great health, and I hope I can have the same level of independence if and when I'm lucky enough to reach his age.


We met at Kamakura Station and then went to our usual cafe for a chat. Kato-san mentioned to me that, in light of the recent passing of Haruo Nakajima and Yoshio Tsuchiya, he is the last surviving cast member from Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (1954). Given his undying spirit and boundless energy, I think Kato-san should be dubbed the Eighth Samurai.


Many thanks, as always, to Kato-san for his kindness and generosity. These get-togethers are a lot of fun each and every time they happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment