Saturday, November 19, 2016

SPENDING AN AFTERNOON WITH A TOHO LEGEND! The Famed Actress Discusses Art and Culture!

With actress Mie Hama. 

On November 19, I was privileged to attend another event with actress Mie Hama. Hama-san is best known around the world as Kissy Suzuki from the James Bond thriller You Only Live Twice (1967), but for us Toho fans, nothing will top her roles in such films as King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) and King Kong Escapes (1967). I've also been fortunate to see her acting in a myriad of other films, such as various Crazy Cats comedies.


The event had nothing at all to do with movies, and it was centered on gosho ningyo (palace dolls). As the only American in attendance, I stood out rather easily, and Hama-san called on me during her presentation, asking me several questions in Japanese. I did my best to answer, which was still quite lacking, but it was a memorable (and fun) experience indeed.

After her talk ended, we took a few photos together. It's always a great experience to see Hama-san, and I hope to have another chance next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment