Saturday, April 2, 2016

A DIFFERENT SIDE OF JAPANESE MOVIES! Dinner with Legends from the Japanese Film Industry!

With screenwriter Fumio Ishimori, following a dinner party in Yokohama.

Tonight I had dinner with two luminaries from the world of Japanese film. One of the special guests was screenwriter Fumio Ishimori, who is best known in the West for his screenplay for the Toho horror film Crest of the Wolf (1973), which was co-written by Jun Fukuda. He also wrote several episodes of the original Kamen Rider (1971-73). Additionally, Ultraman Ace (1972-73) and Zone Fighter (1973) are among his other tokusatsu credits.

With actress Yoko Takahashi, who has appeared in numerous films from the 1970s.

The evening's other guest was actress Yoko Takahashi. She appears in Kon Ichikawa's The Devil's Ballad (1977) and the Academy Award-nominated Sandakan 8 (1974). It was my first time to meet Takahashi-san, and she impressed me with her kindness and sense of humor. When she found out I was a Godzilla fan, she broke out into the Godzilla theme!


While she doesn't appear in any kaiju films (which I'm sure would immediately deter others), her career is very interesting to me, and while her acting career may not have been as lengthy as some of her other colleagues', it is arguably more impressive than most. In fact, one of my friends told me after the event that she is his favorite actress of all time!


It was a fun evening with many laughs and good times. Many thanks to everyone who made the evening so special!

No comments:

Post a Comment