Tuesday, October 20, 2015

THE ALL-STARS RETURN! Shinichi Yanagisawa Performs Jazz in Asakusa!

Shinichi Yanagisawa plays the drums at the HUB Asakusa. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

Tuesday, October 20, saw Shinichi Yanagisawa and the All-Stars in concert again at the HUB Asakusa. I made time to attend the performance, and as always, it was an entertaining and lively show.

Yanagisawa-san sings English-language jazz songs in Asakusa. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

In between sets, I spoke with the saxophonist Watanabe-san, who skillfully translated my interview with Yanagisawa-san last year. (Has it been that long?) I also got to greet Yanagisawa-san and pose for a photo op, which is below.


Shinichi Yanagisawa is best known to film buffs for his movie roles at Nikkatsu Studios during the 1950s and Shochiku Studios in the '60s. It was there that he played Miyamoto in The X from Outer Space (1967).

I'm enjoying my bimonthly travels to Asakusa, and I'm becoming more and more familiar with jazz (which, admittedly, was not a music genre I was particularly fond about before moving to Japan). It's always important to expand one's horizons.

Oh, and the All-Stars knocked it out of the park once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment