Sunday, September 27, 2015

SUPER FESTIVAL 69! The Long-Running Event Comes Back to Tokyo!

Actor Takumi Tsutsui signs autographs for fans at Super Festival 69. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today saw Super Festival 69 held at the Science Museum in Chiyoda, Tokyo. Many guests, dealers, sculptors, and fans were on hand for the event, which seems to get slightly bigger every time I go.

Monster Attack Team (MAT) uniform and Arrow 2 from Return of Ultraman (1971-72). Photo by Brett Homenick.

Among the luminaries on hand were suit builder Keizo Murase (who was signing copies of his new book and being assisted by Shinichi Wakasa), designer and illustrator Shinji Nishikawa, and artist Yuji Kaida. Return of Ultraman suit actor Eiichi Kikuchi was also on hand, but by the time I arrived, his interview and autograph session had already finished.

Daimon conquers all in this dynamic model of Daiei's Spook Warfare (1968).

Of course, part of the fun of Super Festival is walking around and taking in the sights. Given that it's much closer to me than Wonder Festival, it's a nice alternative for me when I feel like seeing the handiwork of talented modelers.

Now there's a trio you don't see every day! Photo by Brett Homenick.

Ultimately, I couldn't help myself and purchased a couple of inexpensive books related to Godzilla. I enjoyed thumbing through them at an Italian restaurant when I was finished. 

Return of Ultraman scripts on display at Super Festival. Photo by Brett Homenick.

 In honor of Eiichi Kikuchi's appearance at the event, a very interesting Return of Ultraman display was set up, featuring all kinds of memorabilia, including design sketches, scripts, and props from the show. Any self-respecting Ultra-fan would have gone ga-ga!

Kaiju design sketches from Return of Ultraman. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

I ran into a couple of friends I usually see at such events and exchanged greetings with them. It's always nice to see familiar faces at places like this.

Ultra Seven saves the day! Photo by Brett Homenick.

One unexpected highlight was getting a chance to meet actor Takumi Tsutsui, the star and titular hero of Toei's Sekai ninja sen Jiraiya (1988-89). He was very friendly and happy to meet his fans.

Yours truly with actor Takumi Tsutsui, one of Toei's vaunted Metal Heroes!

All in all, I had a lot of fun. I got to see some old friends, buy a couple of books, and meet a cool actor. Not bad for a lazy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment