Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A BUSY DAY IN TOKYO! Some Highlights From This Cold December Day!

Yup, that's your humble blogmeister in a big frog mask at the Shop Majin booth near Chofu Station.

Today was a busy with many events happening all over Tokyo. After visiting Kadokawa Daiei Studios, I visited the Shop Majin booth near Chofu Station.

The shop's booth was not just selling its usual Gamera/Daimajin merchandise, but was also highlighting some spooky yokai creatures as part of an exhibit that's currently being held in Chofu. I was able to get in on the fun by wearing an enormous frog mask they had on display!

Just some of the merchandise available at the Shop Majin booth.

Even though I could barely see (or even hear) anything while I had the mask on, it was a fun experience, and the photos turned out quite well.

You talkin' to me?

Some of the masks were intriguing designs I'd never seen before (see below). My interest in yokai more or less ends with the trilogy of films Daiei produced in the late 1960s, but it was cool to be exposed to another side of Japanese monsters.


While I was walking around Ningyocho, I stumbled upon a restaurant called Mifune. At first glance, I thought it was an interesting coincidence, but no, it really is a Toshiro Mifune-themed restaurant!


I didn't go in to sample the food, so I'll do that another time. It's a good thing I remember how to get there!


After making that discovery, I went to a live house called Akasaka Graffiti for a Christmas concert of sorts. The program was made up of various singers who took turns signing (mostly) Christmas songs, karaoke-style. While I enjoyed the bevy of singers who sang familiar Christmas tunes, I came specifically to see Maria Theresa Gow.


Tokusatsu fans may know Ms. Gow from her turn as GUARD member Georgie Leland in Ultraman Gaia (1998-99). She's always very friendly, and it was a blast to see her again. Naturally, she did an excellent job onstage!

No comments:

Post a Comment