Wednesday, October 22, 2014

SHINICHI YANAGISAWA LIVE! The Former Shochiku Player Performs in Asakusa!

Actor-singer Shinichi Yanagisawa poses with yours truly at the HUB in Asakusa in between sets.

I had the distinct privilege of going to the HUB in Asakusa on Tuesday, October 21, to see Shinichi Yanagisawa sing and play drums in his jazz band live and in person. The former Shochiku actor sang several jazz tunes in English and did an excellent job!

Yanagisawa-san sings in front of a packed audience at the HUB! Phtoto by Brett Homenick.

While he was on drums, Yanagisawa-san spotted me in the audience and greeted me. After the set, I had a pleasant chat with Yanagisawa-san and saxophone player Kyoichi Watanabe. I'm still in the process of transcribing last month's interview, but I hope to have it completed in the near future.


Shinichi Yanagisawa played Miyamoto in The X from Outer Space (1967), but he also appeared in films made by all the major studios in Japan: Toho, Shochiku, Daiei, Toei, and Nikkatsu. He got his start as a jazz singer before making the transition to acting in the 1950s.

All in all, it was great to visit Yanagisawa-san again, who is as friendly and genuine as people come. I hope to get many more opportunities to see him in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment