Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Akira Takarada drops by the neighborhood


Akira Takarada and Brett, about to enjoy a traditional Japanese dinner.

I got the surprise of the year when I had a phone conversation with Akira Takarada (Godzilla '54, Monster Zero, King Kong Escapes) the other day. He told me he was coming to Nakatsugawa, Gifu, to film a drama for NHK. What's so special about Nakatsugawa, you ask?

Well, it's where I live.

Mr. Takarada sits next to his former acting student (and current co-star) Yuuki Chiho.

I can't remember the last time my luck was this good! I met up with Mr. Takarada in downtown Nakatsugawa, and we went to a nearby restaurant with the rest of the cast and crew for dinner.

Much to my surprise (there's that word again!), Mr. Takarada introduced me to everyone in attendance. Suffice it to say, it was a little overwhelming!


They usually don't get celebrities in Nakatsugawa! Mr. Takarada mingles with the locals.

Mr. Takarada and I spoke about many topics, and I came away from the evening with a lot of hope for the future. If a fraction of what we talked about comes to pass, 2012 will prove to be quite a year!

That's all, folks! Goodnight from Nakatsugawa!

It's not every day that the Godzilla series' biggest star drops by your town, which made this particular meeting all the more special. With 2011 almost at an end, I can't wait for 2012 to arrive, which promises to be an even more exciting year than this one!

1 comment:

  1. That's great how Akira Takarada surprised you like that! You got an early Christmas gift! Looking forward to the excitement 2012 will bring, especially regarding Godzilla and Mr. Takarada. As always, thanks for sharing your experiences Brett.

    ReplyDelete